beads by breul

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer ~ fresh foods!

I love summer! The access to fresh and local fruits and veggies is mind boggling and we eat so much better.  I am very lucky that both the kids LOVE fruits and veggies and will eat almost anything!  I got some amazing fresh basil at the farmer's market this weekend. Look at this, so wonderful. I wish you could smell it!



I mean, $2 a bunch! Craziness. So, of course, I got some and decided to make pesto. Now this always sounds complicated, I mean, fresh pesto.....but it always surprises me how easy it is.  Basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, parm. cheese! I added a bit of lemon zest to brighten it up also. Crazy easy and oh, so good.




And of course, the end result. Now, please keep in mind that this smells amazing, and tastes wonderful!  Please keep that in mind when you look at this last picture......



Yeah, yeah, I know what it looks like, but boy is it goooood!  :)




3 comments:

Pretty Things said...

Yummy recipe --

Cut the tops off fresh tomatoes...

Turn them upside down on paper towels for about five minutes to drain a little juice out.

Turn them back over and spread them with pesto.

Sprinkle with a smidge of fresh Parmesan or mozarella.

Broil until the cheese bubbles.

Nom nom.

Amy F said...

I love pesto and yours looks delish! I don't have space for a garden, but every summer I put a few basil in pots because I go bananas for caprese everything - caprese pasta, paninis, eggs, salad. Yum!

Courtney Breul said...

Lori,
will have to try that with some summer tomatoes! mmmm

Amy,
we don't get enough sun in the back yard to grow what I would like. I generally end up at the farmer's marke.